Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Homemade "Nutella"

Okay, so I don't know about you guys, but I absolutely LOVE Nutella! When I was in Europe, all we ever ate for breakfast was basically Nutella with bread, or Nutella on a spoon, or on a banana, or....the list goes on and on.
For those of you not so crazy about it, or don't know what it is, it is a chocolate hazelnut butter, its more like a tasty, creamy, smooth chocolate hazelnut amazing-ness. It is made in Alba, Italy....I almost went to go visit that town, but unfortunately I wasn't able to make it. However, locals from a nearby city informed of the fact that as soon as you get off the train in Alba, the AIR smells like Nutella! Can you imagine!
Anyways, here's the recipe for the nutella...and did I mention it is vegan AND gluten-free?! Yep.

Ingredients:
2 cups roasted hazelnuts
1/2 cup (or more, depending on taste) dutch cocoa powder
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/8 cup almond milk, or person preference milk
2 TBS vanilla extract
1/2 cup fine sugar (not powdered)
1/2 cups chocolate shavings (or chips, but shavings are better)

Steps:

1. Take off as much of the brown "shell" off the hazelnuts as much as you can. I do this by rinsing them in a bowl for a few minutes, then rubbing a few hazelnuts at a time between two towels. This takes awhile, and it may not be perfect, but get as much as you can off.




2. Blend the hazelnuts with the coconut oil and vanilla extract very well. Think peanut butter consistency.
3. Add remaining ingredients and blend till smooth! I adjust the taste as I go, so you could add more sugar if desired, or more milk to make it smoother. The balls in your court!

4. Put on ANYTHING and enjoy. I love it on waffles, bananas, and on a spoon. :)


Did you try this recipe? Tell me what you think below!






No comments:

Post a Comment